ISL sees unprecdented digital growth in 2019-20
ISL 2019-20 saw a record number of goals being scored on the pitch, while off it, the fans helped set several landmark goals on the digital front.
Unprecedented upward trend
Over the course of the ISL 2019-20 campaign, an unprecedented 74.82 million interactions were recorded across the league’s social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) – nearly doubling the tally from the 2018-19 season. Match highlights, player interviews, feature videos and match day BTS videos lead to a similar growth in video consumptions as well, with the 2019-20 season garnering a massive 213 million video views across platforms, as compared to 97 million from the previous season.
Curated snippets utilized with a creative edge, saw Stories on Facebook and Instagram garner a massive 138 million views on Instagram and 60.3 million views on Facebook.
From Anirudh Thapa doing the floss to Edu Bedia’s signature celebration, GIFs garnered a whopping 500 million views on Giphy and Tenor during the 2019-20 season.
Average MatchDay Engagement on the ISL social media platforms also saw a 16% spike from 2018-19, marking the success of a captivating season from start to finish.
Innovative digital initiatives
Driving these numbers have been innovative activations designed to keep fans at the
centre of the narrative of ISL 2019-20. Here’s a look at some of them:
- YouTube driving video consumption
- Google Cameos featured interviews with players, coaches and key stakeholders
- HOTM and FGOTM saw fans turn out in numbers to vote for their favourites on indiansuperleague.com as part of the Hero of the Month and Fans’ Goal of the Month polls.
- Google Posts ensured information about the ISL was always delivered to the fans outside the social media realm
- Standings Predictor gave fans the option to easily check the probable scenarios for the top four race and the permutations and combinations relating to who wins the ISL League Winners Shield
- The Huddle offered a new forum for fans to discuss and debate the ISL and Indian football
- Facebook Live studio sessions got fans up close and personal with their favourite stars and footballing personalities
- Twitter Confetti was another unique initiative. The activation, organized by the ISL and Twitter, invited fans to send in special messages for their team and players through tweets. The best tweets were printed out into physical confetti which was a part of ATK FC’s trophy celebrations in the ISL final.ISL 2019-20 will go down as an enthralling season that saw it all on the pitch and was keenly followed by each one of its fans. The ISL’s success on the digital front is yet another example of the fans’ unbridled enthusiasm and love for the league.