Kishore Jena, Shaili Singh sneak into World Athletics C'ships - Full List of Indians who qualified
A total of 27 Indian athletes and 1 relay team have qualified for the World Athletics Championships to be held from 19 August 2023. This is the most number of Indians athletes to ever qualify for an edition of the Worlds.
Javelin thrower Kishore Jena and long jumper Shaili Singh are among those to make it to the final list of athletes qualified for the 2023 World Athletics Championships in Budapest, Hungary from 19 August to 27 August 2023, according to the Road to Budapest rankings updated on Wednesday.
Kishore Jena will be one of three Indian male javelin throwers at the event alongside Neeraj Chopra and DP Manu. Rohit Yadav, who has also qualified, will miss out due to a long-term injury.
A total of 27 Indian athletes and a men's relay team have qualified for the 2023 WAC. This is the best-ever representation of this elite Athletics event. There was a contingent of 23 Indian athletes that competed at the 2022 Eugene World Athletics Championships last year.
Jyothi Yarraji, KM Chanda, Parul Choudhary, Shaili Singh, Annu Rani, Bhawana Jat, Krishan Kumar, Ajay Kumar Saroj, Santhosh Kumar, Sarvesh Kushare, Tejaswin Shankar, Abdulla Aboobacker, DP Manu, Rohit Yadav, Kishore Jena, and Eldhose Paul are those to have made it to the 2023 WAC based on rankings, the period of consideration for which ended on July 31, 2023.
Many others have qualified based on meeting entry standards and wildcard entries.
In history, India has only managed to win two medals at this prestigious competition - Neeraj Chopra's silver medal in men's javelin in 2022 and Anju Bobby George's iconic bronze medal in women's long jump back in 2003.
Full List of Indians in 2023 World Athletics Championships
- Neeraj Chopra Men's Javelin Throw
- Avinash Sable Men's 3000m Steeplechase
- Jeswin Aldrin Men's Long Jump
- M Sreeshankar Men's Long Jump
- Praveen Chithravel Men's Triple Jump
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor Men's Shot Put
- Priyanka Goswami Women's 20km Race Walk
- Akshdeep Singh Men's 20km Race Walk
- Vikash Singh Men's 20km Race Walk
- Paramjeet Bisht Men's 20km Race Walk
- Ram Baboo Men's 35km Race Walk
- Jyothi Yarraji Women’s 100m Hurdles
- Parul Chaudhary Women's 3000m Steeplechase
- Shaili Singh Women's Long Jump
- Tejaswin Shankar Men’s High Jump
- Sarvesh Anil Kushare Men’s High Jump
- Eldhose Paul Men’s Triple Jump
- Abdulla Aboobacker Men’s Triple Jump
- DP Manu Men's Javelin Throw
- Rohit Yadav men's Javelin Throw (Injured)
- Kishore Kumar Jena Men's Javelin Throw
- Annu Rani Women's Javelin Throw
- Santosh Kumar Men’s 400m Hurdles
- Bhawna Jat Women’s 20km Race Walk
- Ajay Kumar Saroj Men’s 1500m
- Krishan Kumar Men’s 800m
- KM Chanda Women's 800m
- Men 4*400m Relay Team