Olympics Begin In
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.


Bengaluru FC held 0-0 by Bhutan's Transport United in AFC prelims

Bengaluru FC held 0-0 by Bhutans Transport United in AFC prelims

Md Imtiaz

Published: 24 Jan 2018 2:05 AM GMT
Bengaluru FC was held to a goalless draw by Transport United in the first leg of the preliminary stage of the 2018 AFC match at the Changlimithang Stadium in Thimphu, Bhutan, on Tuesday. The Blues will have their task cut out in the second leg at their home on January 30. The young side would require a clear win to progress to the second round of qualifiers. Coach Albert Roca began with captain Lalthuammawia Ralte in goal. Midfielders Malsawmzuala and Alwyn George along with defender Zohmingliana Ralte and striker Daniel Lalhlimpuia were given their first starts of the season. Bengaluru's boy Prashanth Kalinga began in defence, making his first-team debut after coming through the youth ranks at the club. The game began at a slow pace with both sides opting to show resistance. The Blues had no trouble playing in the temperature close six degrees. They were playing their usual passing game. Only at the half an hour mark, did Bengaluru get the first real chance of the game, as Boithang Haokip's perfect corner-kick from the right found Toni Dovale clear at the edge of the box. The Spaniard however, failed to make the desired connection. Image result for boithang haokip
The second half started with great excitement as Daniel found himself gifted with back-to-back chances within five minutes. The striker, however, shot wide on both occasions, failing to convert after some good display by Toni, who set him up inside the box. The chances were few and far in between but Bengaluru kept control for the majority of the game as the lack of finishing gave no favours for Roca's men. Two more chances at the end of the game, one through Lenny Rodrigues' long ranger four minutes past the hour mark and from a Daniel shot moments later, forced the rival custodian into saves that he pulled off without fuss. Roca made three changes in the final quarter hoping to break down the home side's defence and handed debuts to Thongkhosiem Haokip, Joyner Lourenco and Cletus Paul. Transport United, however, managed to defend deep and keep the scoreline unchanged as the tie remained open heading into the second leg. The Blues will again return to Indian Super League action where they host NorthEast United on Friday.
Next Story