Wednesday, June 3, 2020
To Go
  • Players Speak
  • Coach’s Corner
  • Forgotten Heroes
  • Para Sports
  • From The Grassroots
  • Sports Market
  • Videos
Home Boxing Boxing: Eight medals assured for India in Makran Cup (Iran)

Boxing: Eight medals assured for India in Makran Cup (Iran)

Published:

New Delhi: Commonwealth Silver medalist, Manish Kaushik alongside two other pugilists progressed to the semi-finals and in the process assured medals for India at the ongoing Makran Cup boxing tournament in Chabahar, Iran on Sunday.

The reigning national champion put up a dominant display to secure a place in the semis after outclassing Moumivand Salar in a unanimous 5:0 victory in the 60kg quarter-final clash.

Following suit was Rohit Tokas who came under the limelight with his promising performances in World Series Boxing, early last year. Tokas is known for his attacking style of boxing, did not give his opponent Tugrulbeg Pazzyyev any chance to settle down, he was declared a 5-0 unanimous winner by the judges at the end of three rounds.

Army man, Duryodhan Singh Negi also guaranteed himself a semi-finals berth in the 69 kg category after his match against Kamyab Moradi was abandoned in R2 in favour of the Indian.

It was, however, end of the road for boxers Manish Panwar and Madan Lal. Chemistry Cup Gold medalist, Madan Lal, is also the reigning national champion; put up his trademark aggressive display but suffered an unfortunate result losing out narrowly 2:3 against Mohammad Kaspour in his 56kg semi-final bout.

Young pugilist Manish Panwar too suffered a similar fate after being stunned to a 0:5 loss against Safari Keivan (81kg).

India pugilists have assured a total of 8 medals in the ongoing tournament. Earlier, five other Indians- Deepak (49kg), Lalit Prasad (52kg), Manjeet Singh Panghal (75kg), Sanjeet (91kg) & Satish Kumar (+91kg) assured medals after winning their respective quarters bouts to progress to the semi-finals of the event. The semi-final matches will be played later on Monday night.

130,964FansLike
12,136FollowersFollow
7,151FollowersFollow

BWF says Olympic qualification process to start next year

Facing criticism for packing 22 tournaments in five months in its revised calendar, the Badminton World Federation on Wednesday said the disrupted Olympic qualification process will restart only next year with players having the benefit of holding on to the ranking points they have...
To Go